Saturday, August 21, 2010

My 15 Seconds of Fame!

Last Tuesday saw me getting up very early in preparation for a photographer coming out from the Vancouver Sun newspaper to do a story on losing pet birds.  I had had a very quick telephone interview with the reporter the day before and, although the story didn't really go the direction I wanted it to, it did get some people's attention on keeping a closer eye on their birds in the summer.


The story was initiated by a wonderful man who, along with his lovely wife and daughter, have lost their beloved cockatiel "Charlie" in downtown Vancouver.  Charlie has been missing for almost two months.  It breaks my heart that we cannot find Charlie.  The Delain family have offered a large reward for Charlie.  It's not often that I get to meet face-to-face with people who I post lost birds for.  I did have the honour of meeting this couple and their daughter and what a blessing for me.  WONDERFUL people who truly care about their bird and about other people.  In the time that they have lost Charlie, they have taken in another cockatiel to foster that we are as yet, unable to find the owner of. 


Audrey and Maya (with her collar on) (Photo: Ward Perrin, PNG)

I must say that the photographer was wonderful.  He is an animal lover and spent time talking with my kids and paying attention to all the animals.  A genuine, caring man.  The reporter - well, you could tell she was in a hurry and the order had come from higher up.  The passion just wasn't there.  So it goes when one speaks with the Press.
Here are the URL's....

For the story look here.  Here are more photos.  And a short video is here. 

You will notice that Bella & Bobby have very long beaks.  They have now been trimmed again.  They have had health issues in the past that cause their beaks and nails to grow faster than normal and need trimming every 3-4 months.  Ths pics were taken several days before they were trimmed.  If left too long, it can affect birds so that they cannot eat properly.  It takes regularly-scheduled vet visits to keep them managed.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of the story and photos and video!
Blessings to all! Have a great weekend.

No comments: